Ideally, it is better if you can boil or steam fresh artichokes and scrape out the hearts, though this can be time-consuming. An alternative is to buy the artichoke hearts that are marinated and ready to be used. The marinated kind have a rich flavour which makes them great for dips, pasta dishes, pizza, casseroles, salads or appetizers.
Artichoke Pesto [Vegan]
- 2 cups artichoke hearts, strained and rinsed well
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 2 garlic buds
- 2 tablespoons (tbsp) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup fresh curly parsley leaves, packed tight
- 1 tbsp fresh basil leaves (about 8 big leaves), packed tight
- A pinch of salt, to taste
- Strain and rinse out the articokes under cold running water and reserve 1/2 cup of artichokes. Set these aside.
- Add all ingredients (except the 1/2 cup reserved artichokes) to your food processor bowl and process until smooth. This should take less than a minute, depending on your blade. You may need to stop and scrape down the sides a little.
- Add the reserved 1/2 cup of artichokes and process for about 10 seconds or just enough so that you have some small chunks of artichokes mixed throughtout.
- Transfer into 2 separate glass jars, seal and refridgerate. Keeps well in the refridgerator for about 4-5 days. You can also freeze directly in the glass jar for up to 8-9 months as long as you leave 1/2 inch (1.5 cm) free space below the top of the container and you let it thaw in the fridge before using it.
- Add approximately 1 tablespoon (or more according to taste) of pesto for each serving of cooked pasta of choice. Mix well into the pasta. Can also use as a spread on crackers.