Who knew that mixing cashews with aquafaba (chickpea brine) could make a delicious vegan mozzarella cheese?! What it really comes down to is the flavoring. A bit of lemon juice, some nutritional yeast, and sea salt go a long way. And once it's done, you'll be layering this cheese on pizza, making Caprese salads, and serving it with wine, all the time, trust us.
Aquafaba Mozzarella [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked for at least two hours
- 1 cup aquafaba (liquid from a can of chickpeas)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt or Himalayan salt
- 5 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch or tapioca starch
- 2 teaspoons agar agar
- Mix the cashews and the aquafaba until smooth. Now add all the other ingredients and mix.
- Pour the mixture into a saucepan and stir under constant heat until it bubbles and the mass thickens.
- Pour into a mould and set in the refrigerator overnight or for a minimum of 6 hours.
Adapted from the aquafaba mozzarella recipe from Avocados and Ales.