Who knew that mixing cashews with aquafaba (chickpea brine) could make a delicious vegan mozzarella cheese?! What it really comes down to is the flavoring. A bit of lemon juice, some nutritional yeast, and sea salt goes a long way. And once it's done, you'll be layering this vegan mozzarella cheese on pizza, making Caprese salads, and serving it with wine, all the time, trust us. Based on the taste and appearance––your guests might not even be able to tell the difference. This vegan mozzarella cheese is magical!
Aquafaba Mozzarella [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked for at least two hours
- 1 cup aquafaba (liquid from a can of chickpeas)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt or Himalayan salt
- 5 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch or tapioca starch
- 2 teaspoons agar agar
- Mix the cashews and the aquafaba until smooth. Now add all the other ingredients and mix.
- Pour the mixture into a saucepan and stir under constant heat until it bubbles and the mass thickens.
- Pour into a mold and set in the refrigerator overnight or for a minimum of 6 hours.
Adapted from the aquafaba mozzarella recipe from Avocados and Ales.