This apple upside down cake is so many layers of delicious. It is bubbling with warm apple flavors and traditional fall spices. Top it off with a vegan whipped cream and you are set with a dessert of your dreams!
Apple Upside Down Cake [Vegan]
For apple layer:
- 2 medium peeled, cored, and thinly sliced apples
- 3 tablespoons raw sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- a few drops of lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup raw sugar or organic cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup finely diced apples
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and line an 8 or 9 inch cake pan with oil and parchment paper.
- Layer sliced apples around the bottom of the pan in a double layer. Sprinkle the lined apples with a mixture of the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Drop a few drops of lemon juice over the apples and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the water, lemon juice, melted coconut oil, and vanilla.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the mixed wet ingredients. Use a rubber spatula to fold and stir until almost all of the flour is combined. Add the finely diced apples to the cake batter and fold until all of the apples and flour are combined.
- Carefully pour the cake batter over the apples and sugar in the cake pan taking care not to shift them.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick stuck into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool for five minutes. Then, while still warm, invert onto a large plate. Serve warm with coconut cream,