Smooth and creamy pumpkin soup, topped with crispy caramelized onions.
Apple Pumpkin Soup With Caramelized Onions [Vegan]
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup chopped apple
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon rice vinegar
- A pinch of salt
- In a saucepan, bring the vegetable broth to a boil.
- Add the apples, pumpkin puree, pumpkin spice, black pepper, thyme, and salt and let it cook uncovered for 4-5 minutes, or until apples are very soft. Remove from heat and let it cool.
- In the meantime, heat oil in non-stick pan and add the onions. Cook onions until translucent and shiny.
- Add brown sugar and vinegar and toss well. Cook until the onions are dark brown in color. Remove from heat.
- Once the soup is cooled, transfer to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Warm the soup before serving and top it with caramelized onions.