It may be the night of thanksgiving and you have most likely already made or eaten your pie…but it is never too late for apple pie. Trust me one this one this pie will blow your mind and it was even approved by two people who have never liked pie. A crispy and buttery crust paired with sweet, slightly tart, and soft apples. Topped with a creamy salted caramel sauce. Are you drooling yet?
Apple Pie with Salted Caramel [Vegan]
For the Crust
- 1 1/4 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 cup chilled butter, cubed
- 1/4-1/3 cup cold water
For the Filling
- 2 tablespoons non-dairy butter
- 12 large apples (6 honey crisp + 6 Granny Smith)
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 + 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
For the Salted Caramel
- 1 can coconut milk
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- Pinch of flaky sea salt
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, sugar, and lemon zest. Using a fork or pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour mixture until they are pea-sized crumbs. Slowly stir in the cold water until a soft dough forms (should not stick to your hands). Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and place in freezer for 10 min.
- While dough is in the freezer, prepare the filling. Peel and thinly sliced the apples. Melt 2 tbsp of butter in a very large skillet over medium heat. Add in the apple slices and cook down for 5-6 min. until tender. Sprinkle over the rest of the ingredients and carefully stir to fully coat the apples. Cook for an additional 5-6 min. until soft and juices have thickened. Take off the heat and set aside to cool.
- Grease the pie pan with a bit of butter. Roll out the dough large enough to fully cover the pie pan. Drape the dough over the pie pan and press down on all sides. Cut off any remaining dough from the edges. Use the remaining dough for either a design (I did braids as seen in the photo) or to completely cover the top.
- Pierce the bottom of the pie dough a few times. Spoon in the filling. Top with dough design.
- Carefully brush on a mixture of one part maple syrup to water. Sprinkle on a bit of cane sugar. Bake for 30-35 min. until golden brown.
- For the caramel, in a small sauce pan over medium heat, add the coconut sugar. Cook for 2-3 min. until heated through. Add the coconut milk and salt. Bring to a low-boil, then turn to medium low to simmer for approx. 15 min. until thickened. Take off heat and let cool.
- Drizzle caramel over the pie once the pie has cooled for 5 min. Enjoy!