A fluffy & moist muffin embedded with soft chunks of apple and topped with a crunchy, sweet streusel topping!
Apple Pie Streusel Muffins [Vegan]
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/3 cup non-dairy milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon flax seed meal + 2 tablespoons water)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 green apple, diced
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake tin with muffin liners.
- In a small bowl, combine the flax seed meal and water. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients up to the cinnamon. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the sugars and coconut oil until incorporated. Stir in the milk, vinegar, flax egg, and vanilla. Pour wet mixture into dry and stir to combine. Fold in the diced apple.
- In a bowl, combine the oats, oil, and brown sugar for the streusel topping. The texture should resemble clumpy sand.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop batter into liners until 3/4 full. Sprinkle with a bit of streusel topping. Bake for 20-22 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. It's fine if a few crumbs are attached, as that means it's nice and moist!
- Cool for 10 minutes before enjoying!