The best thing about galettes is that they're like a pie you can eat with your hands. Basically, they're like a rustic dessert pizza and this apple galette with a whole wheat crust and salted caramel sauce fits the bill. Apples are tossed in cinnamon, maple syrup, and a little bit of orange zest and then folded into a flaky pastry dough before being baked and then drizzled with a thick, creamy salted caramel sauce. Serve with non-dairy vanilla ice cream or a dollop of coconut cream.
Apple Galette With Salted Date Caramel Sauce [Vegan]
For the Whole Wheat Galette Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup vegan butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons ice water
For the Apple Filling:
- 3 apples, red and green
- 2 tablespoons sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1/4 teaspoon orange zest
- A pinch of allspice
- 1 teaspoon non-dairy milk
For the Salted Date Caramel Sauce:
- 6 large dates
- 2/3 cup hot water
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
To Make the Whole Wheat Crust:
- Combine the pastry flour, sugar, and salt in a food processor. Pulse a few times until even. Add the vegan butter and pulse 12-15 times until butter forms pea-sized clumps. Slowly stream in the ice water while pulsing.
- Continue pulsing until the mixture looks even, but stop before it forms into a solid mass. Form the dough into a ball in your hands, then roll it into a large disk on a floured surface. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour.
To Make the Galette:
- Peel, halve and core the apples and slice them crosswise 1/4-inch thick. Set aside the larger center slices and coarsely chop the end slices and any broken ones; about half of the slices should be chopped. In a small bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the pastry to a 12-inch circle and transfer to a large rimmed baking sheet. Spread the chopped apples over the pastry to within 1-inch of the edge. Drizzle the agave or maple syrup over the chopped apples then sprinkle with orange zest and allspice.
- Decoratively arrange the apple slices on top in concentric circles or in slightly overlapping rows. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar evenly over the apples and dot with pieces of vegan butter. Carefully fold the pastry edge up and over the apples to create a 1-inch border, pinching together any cracks in the crust.
- Brush the non-dairy milk on the edges of the crust and sprinkle with a bit of sugar. Bake for about an hour, until the apples are soft and the crust is golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Serve with salted caramel sauce and non-dairy ice cream, if desired.
To Make the Salted Caramel Sauce:
- Add all ingredients to a blender and process until smooth and even.
The whole wheat pastry crust can be made up to two days ahead and stored in the refrigerator. Let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes before rolling out.