This tasty crumble is a reminder that sometimes, the simple things are best. Oats, almonds, and walnuts are blended with sticky-sweet dates, coconut oil, and a dash of vanilla and sea salt. The fruity filling is made from sweet apples, tangy lemon, and tart blackberries. Serve with coconut yogurt or vegan ice cream.
Apple and Blackberry Crumble [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Makes 8 slices or 16 mini squares
For the Crumble:
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup walnuts (or pecans)
- 1 1/2 cups dates
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon apple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 5 tablespoons coconut oil (melted)
For the Filling:
- 4 apples
- 1 cup blackberries
- 2 tablespoons apple syrup
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Blend all crumble ingredients except the coconut oil in a blender or food processor until fine and crumbly but still with some texture. Then, while your blender is on low, pour in the melted coconut oil. The mixture should hold together easily in your fingers when pressed and, if it doesn't, blend some more or add a little extra coconut oil.
- Pour 3/4 of your mixture in a lined baking tray and press down very firmly – place in the freezer to set. Set aside the remaining crumble in a bowl.
- Now in your blender or processor, place in quartered and deseeded apples with the apple syrup and lemon juice and blitz up until chunky. Don’t over blend – you don’t want apple mush otherwise it will have too much liquid and won’t hold together. Think chunky. Pour off any excess liquid (use for overnight oats or a smoothie), then pour the apple onto your crumble base layer and press down so it’s flat and compacted.
- Dot over the blackberries, then sprinkle over the remaining crumble, pressing down lightly so it holds together.
- Place in the freezer for 2 hours to set, or in the refrigerator overnight.
- Once completely firm, remove and slice, then place back in the refrigerator – will keep for up to five days. Serve with coconut yoghurt, vegan vanilla ice cream, or cashew cream.