Kheer is sort of like an Indian pudding. This is a creamy custard like, mildly sweet kheer/pudding, with nuttiness from the almond milk, warmly aromatic from the cardamoms, delicately flavored with rose-water and topped with crunchy roasted cashews and pistachios. It’s a lovely dessert that works very well served warm or cold. And is healthy and nourishing enough to have for breakfast!
Almond Millet Kheer [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Almond Millet Kheer [Vegan]
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil or vegan butter
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom seeds, crushed
- 3/4 cup millets
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups almond milk
- 3 tablespoons powdered jaggery
- 1 teaspoon rose water
- 2 tablespoons roasted cashews, pistachios, dried rose petals for topping
How to Prepare Almond Millet Kheer [Vegan]
- In your pressure cooker, heat 1 teaspoon ghee, add crushed cardamom and the millets. Roast them for 3-4 minutes till lightly fragrant.
- Add water and close the lid, put the weight on. Let it cook on medium high for 1 whistle. Turn off the gas and let the pressure release on its own. Your millets should be well cooked by now. Fluff them up with a fork.
- Now add 2 cups of almond milk and let the mixture cook on low heat till it thickens, 10-15 minutes. Add more milk if the kheer is too thick for you.
- Stir in the jaggery and rose water. Taste and adjust for sweetness.
- Sprinkle with cashews, pistachios and dried rose petals. Serve warm or chilled. Enjoy!
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.