Kheer is sort of like an Indian pudding. This is a creamy custard like, mildly sweet kheer/pudding, with nuttiness from the almond milk, warmly aromatic from the cardamoms, delicately flavored with rose-water and topped with crunchy roasted cashews and pistachios. It’s a lovely dessert that works very well served warm or cold. And is healthy and nourishing enough to have for breakfast!
Almond Millet Kheer [Vegan]
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil or vegan butter
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom seeds, crushed
- 3/4 cup millets
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups almond milk
- 3 tablespoons powdered jaggery
- 1 teaspoon rose water
- 2 tablespoons roasted cashews, pistachios, dried rose petals for topping
- In your pressure cooker, heat 1 teaspoon ghee, add crushed cardamom and the millets. Roast them for 3-4 minutes till lightly fragrant.
- Add water and close the lid, put the weight on. Let it cook on medium high for 1 whistle. Turn off the gas and let the pressure release on its own. Your millets should be well cooked by now. Fluff them up with a fork.
- Now add 2 cups of almond milk and let the mixture cook on low heat till it thickens, 10-15 minutes. Add more milk if the kheer is too thick for you.
- Stir in the jaggery and rose water. Taste and adjust for sweetness.
- Sprinkle with cashews, pistachios and dried rose petals. Serve warm or chilled. Enjoy!