Lightened up pineapple upside down cake made gluten-free and vegan with almond flour and sweetened with pineapple and unrefined coconut sugar.
Almond Flour Pineapple Upside Down Cake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 9 pineapple slices, canned preferred
- Maraschino cherries (optional)
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoon Golden Flaxseed Meal + 5 tablespoon filtered water)
- 1 3/4 cup Almond Flour
- 1/2 cup Tapioca Flour
- 1/2 cup unrefined coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350° F and generously grease a 9-inch cake pan with coconut oil or line with parchment paper.
- Layer the pineapple slices along the bottom in a uniform fashion.
- Place optional maraschino cherries everywhere you find a gap.
- Set the prepared cake pan aside while you prepare your cake batter.
- Mix up the flax eggs in a large mixing bowl and allow to gel for 5 minutes. Add in the almond milk, pineapple juice, coconut sugar, and yogurt and whisk together with a hand whisk until just combined.
- Sift in the almond flour, tapioca flour, and baking powder.
- Pour out over the pineapple slices and smooth down with the back of a spatula.
- Place into the oven and bake for 45-55 minutes. It’s ready when a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes before inverting it onto a plate or cake stand.
- To flip it, place a plate against the cake pan and then flip it so that the cake pan is upside down on top of the plate or cake stand, then carefully lift the cake pan off.
- Slice and enjoy.