All you chocolate-lovers out there, if you haven’t tried making your own chocolate, you’re missing out big time! It might sound complicated, but it’s the easiest thing ever! You only need raw cacao powder, cacao butter (or coconut oil), and a high-quality natural sweetener such as pure maple syrup.
3-Ingredient Dark Chocolate [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/2 cup cacao butter, chopped
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Pinch of unrefined sea salt (optional)
- Fill a small pot about 1/4 full with water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and fit a heat-resistant bowl into the pot. The bottom of the bowl should not reach the water (at least 2 to 3 inches space between the bowl and water). The intention is to heat the bowl with steam and not the water.
- Chop cacao butter into small chunks and place in the bowl. Once the cacao butter is melted, remove the bowl with oven mitts and let it cool for a few minutes
- Add cacao powder and mix well with a spoon or whisk until no lumps remain. Add the maple syrup and salt and stir to combine
- Pour melted chocolate into a silicone mold or at the bottom of a small square/rectangular dish lined with parchment paper. Freeze for about 10 minutes or refrigerate for 30 minutes or so until the chocolate firms up
- Remove from the mold and enjoy! Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 weeks
You can use coconut oil instead of cacao butter. Just melt it over low heat if it’s solid and mix in the rest of ingredients as instructed. If using coconut oil, the chocolate needs to be stored in the fridge or freezer. Feel free to add anything else you like into your chocolate, such as nuts, seeds, dried fruits, berries, coconut flakes, cacao nibs, nut butter, puffed quinoa, orange zest, pretzels, popcorn, etc.