On a tight budget and pressed for time? This broccoli and almond parmesan pasta will rescue your weeknight dinner! The star of the recipe is this vegan almond parmesan. The combination of ground almonds or almond flour, lemon zest, and crushed garlic sautéed until crispy is reminiscent of a sprinkle of classic parm!
10-Minute Broccoli and Almond Parmesan Pasta [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 ounces whole wheat, gluten-free, or grain-free pasta (fusilli, penne, and spaghetti work well)
- 2 ounces broccoli, cut into florets
- 1/4 ground almonds (approx 20 almonds)
- Zest of one lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt or to taste
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, grated or crushed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, optional
- Cook the pasta in salted water according to the instructions on the box. Reserve some of the cooking water (see below).
- Par-boil the broccoli florets.
- In a pan, saute the ground almonds, lemon zest, grated/crushed garlic, and a pinch of salt in olive oil for 2-3 minutes until fragrant and slightly crispy. Set aside 1-2 tbsp of this mix to top your pasta with just before serving.
- Add the broccoli, 3-4 tablespoons of the pasta cooking water and pasta. Allow to cook for a few minutes. Add salt and taste for seasoning.
- Just before serving, sprinkle the sautéed almond mix that you set aside earlier. Drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil, after plating, if the pasta feels dry. Serve immediately.