Light, tender and fluffy, with a gooey and buttery cinnamon center…Is there any better indulgence with your morning coffee? These vegan cinnamon buns are our new obsession. Only 10 ingredients, they are easy to make and so satisfying. The secret to perfectly fluffy, buttery cinnamon rolls is to allow them to rise twice, first in the bowl and then again after the rolls have been formed. If you have the patience to let the dough work it’s magic, you will reap the rewards.
10-Ingredient Cinnamon Buns [Vegan]
For the dough:
- 1 1/8 cup almond milk
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon egg replacer
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons sea salt
- 6 tablespoons melted vegan butter ( you can also use melted coconut oil)
- Non-stick spray for the bowl
For the filling:
- 1/2 cup melted vegan butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
For the icing:
- 3 cups organic powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons almond milk
- Make the dough. Warm the almond milk gently in a saucepan until it’s just warm to the touch, and add 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar, yeast and egg replacer. Allow to sit about 5 minutes-it should look frothy and bubbling.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, remaining 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center and add the milk mixture. Mix with a wooden spoon until a shaggy dough is formed. Add the melted vegan butter mix until fully combined. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured counter and knead for 5 minutes (or knead in a stand mixer with a dough hook attachment).
- Rest the dough. Place the dough ball in an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for 1 1/2-2 hours at room temperature.
- Chill the dough. Punch the risen dough down and place in your refrigerator for 1 hour, or overnight if you’re going to make the rolls in the morning.
- Form the rolls. After the dough is chilled, turn it out onto a floured surface and roll in to a 16 x 10-inch rectangle. The dough will be about 1/4-inch thick. Brush 1/2 the melted butter onto the dough. Combine the brown sugar, cinnamon and sea salt in a bowl and then sprinkle generously onto the dough, covering the whole surface. Drizzle the rest of the melted butter on top. Starting on the long side of the dough, roll the dough into a tight coil. Cut the roll into 9 equal pieces about 2-inches thick each. Place the rolls into a 9 x 13-inch baking dish and cover with plastic. Allow to rise for 1 hour at room temp.
- Bake the rolls. Heat the oven to 375°F. Place the rolls in the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes. They should be golden and fluffy and the sugar should be bubbling up around the edges. Remove from the oven when ready.
- Make the glaze. Combine the powdered sugar and almond milk in a bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Glaze the warm rolls. Spread the glaze evenly on the still warm rolls. It is meant to be applied while the rolls are still warm so it melts evenly over the top. Allow the rolls to cool slightly before serving. These rolls can be kept refrigerated if tightly wrapped in plastic, and then re-heated in the oven wrapped in aluminum foil.