These sweet potato falafel are the perfect party finger-food. They are easy, quick to make, and will add a little something extra to any dish you serve them with. Or, you can just eat them on their own – it's up to you.
10-Ingredient Baked Turmeric Sweet Potato Falafel [Vegan, Gluten-free]
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained
- 1 handful fresh cilantro
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- A dash of sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Start by roughly chopping and steaming the sweet potato (skin on or off – whatever you prefer) until you can stick a fork through a piece.
- Next, Put the sweet potato in a food processor and blend them until the large chunks are gone.
- Add the rest of your ingredients into the food processor and try to scoop the blended sweet potato from the bottom of the processor and put them on top of the other ingredients. You just want the blades to be able to access them.
- Blend until most of the chunks are gone and the cilantro leaves are cut up, but be sure to stop before you have a hummus consistency! Depending on the food processor you’re using, you might have to stop the machine and stir the ingredients around to be sure that everything is getting blended.
- Get ready to make some falafel! Grab a baking sheet and line it with parchment paper. Use a large spoon or – better yet – an ice cream scooper and grab enough dough to make falafel balls that are about an inch in diameter. Place the balls at least 1 inch apart on the baking sheet and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Cool and serve. This makes about 18-24 falafels.
Keep them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.