This supremely fresh-tasting pasta is perfect spring and summer fare. The steaming hot pasta cooks the tomatoes just enough to ensure that they’re bursting with flavor. I love to make this for company because most of the prep can be done beforehand and the colorful combination of veggies makes for an attractive presentation.
Rotini With Fresh Arugula and Tomato Sauce [Vegan]
- 1 pound whole-grain rotini or fusilli
- 2 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 10 to 15 leaves fresh basil, very thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose seasoning or other herb blend
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- Several grinds freshly ground pepper
- 1 to 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch arugula (about 4 ounces), cleaned and stemmed
- 1 jar (6 ounces) marinated artichoke hearts, drained
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Stir in the rotini. Decrease the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender but firm.
- Meanwhile, put the tomatoes, basil, garlic, all-purpose seasoning, salt, and pepper in a bowl large enough to also accommodate the cooked penne.
- Stir gently until well combined.
- Drizzle in 1 tablespoon of the oil and stir gently until the tomatoes are evenly coated.
- Coarsely chop the arugula and put it on top of the tomato mixture.
- Chop the artichoke hearts and put them in a small bowl.
- Drain the rotini well and, while it is still piping hot, pour it over the tomato mixture.
- Drizzle with a bit more oil, if desired and toss gently until thoroughly combined.
- Gently stir in the artichoke hearts. Serve immediately.
The tomato mixture and artichokes may be prepared up to 4 hours in advance. Just store them separately in covered bowls in the refrigerator.