Quinoa has a fantastic reputation. Think of it as the coolest kid in your high school, and you’ll be on the right track. This ancient grain has been well-documented as nutritional powerhouse. Here it's used in a simple-to-make salad has Mexican influences that can be played up even more if you desire. Yes, you’re reading it correctly. Thanks to the juice from the tomato, this salad needs no dressing.
Spicy Quinoa Salad [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup minced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup cored, seeded, chopped tomato
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons minced dill pickles
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or cilantro
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced, for serving
- Heat the oil in a medium-size saucepan over medium high heat.
- Add the cumin, chili powder, and salt. Stir and cook until fragrant.
- Add the quinoa, tomato juice, and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the liquid has evaporated and the quinoa is soft and tender, about 25 minutes.
- The quinoa should be fluffy. Refrigerate the quinoa for one hour, or until chilled.
- Gently stir in the bell pepper, onion, dill pickles, and parsley. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
- Serve topped with avocado slices.
- To shake it up even more, add your favorite drained and rinsed canned beans, cooked corn cut from the cob, jalapenos, or whatever strikes you. It’s a blueprint to tweak to your own tastes. The options are endless!