This a great recipe from my wife Julie Piatt. All 4 of our kids love these for breakfast, and they go great with jam or a vegan butter substitute. Alternatively, the scones are delicious served as a dinner roll with dishes such as vegan mashed potatoes and mushroom gravy, black bean vegan chili or vegetable soup. Give them a try and let me know what you think!
Banana Scones [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 1/4 cups amaranth, brown rice or buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
- 1/2 cup arrowroot (sifted)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cardamon
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 mashed organic bananas
- 3/4 cup organic maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- Sift all dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, mash bananas, maple syrup, and coconut oil.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, pour wet mixture in and mix by hand.
- Lightly press together to form 2-inch pieces. Drop onto lightly oiled cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, or until lightly brown. Scones should be organic in shape and drop like a cookie.