In this recipe, slices of tofu are cooked into an amazing combination of sweet and savory flavors. This dish can be enjoyed with steamed rice, noodles, bao buns, or fresh vegetables. This Vegan Sticky Sweet Char Siu Tofu is simple and easy to make, easily customizable, can be made gluten-free, and is a must-try recipe!
- Extra-firm tofu, pressed, drained, and sliced into 1-inch thick slabs
- Brown sugar
- Sesame oil for cooking
- Soy sauce (optionally gluten-free)
- Minced garlic
- Freshly grated ginger
- Hoisin sauce
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- Chopped scallions for garnish
- In a bowl, combine the sugar, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, garlic, ginger, and spice.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, add the oil, and tofu. Pan-fry until golden brown on each side. Remove tofu from the pan and let cool.
- Slicing each slab of tofu into about 1-inch wide strips.
- In a pan, over medium heat, add the sauce and stir well. Increase heat to medium-high and bring sauce to a boil. Stir continuously to prevent the sugar from sticking.
- Add the tofu, and mix with the sauce. Cook for approximately 10 minutes, or until sauce thickens.
- Garnish tofu with sesame seeds and scallions.
Char Siu (BBQ Tofu) Rice
Emma Makes Char Siu Tofu Banh Mi
Source: School of Wok/Youtube
Korean BBQ Tofu
Source: Korean BBQ Tofu
You will fall in love with this Korean BBQ Tofu dish. A thick block of firm tofu is sliced and then marinated in a thick, sweet, and salty BBQ glaze. Serve over rice with a sprinkle of green onions and sesame seeds.
Learn How to Cook Plant-Based Meals at Home
Reducing your meat intake and eating more plant-based foods is known to help with chronic inflammation, heart health, mental wellbeing, fitness goals, nutritional needs, allergies, gut health, and more! Unfortunately, dairy consumption also has been linked to many health problems, including acne, hormonal imbalance, cancer, and prostate cancer, and has many side effects.
For those interested in eating more plant-based, we highly recommend purchasing one of our many plant-based cookbooks or downloading the Food Monster App which has thousands of delicious recipes making it the largest vegan recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! And, while you are at it, we encourage you to also learn about the environmental and health benefits of a plant-based diet.
Here are some resources to get you started:
- Weekly Vegan Meal Plans
- Plant-Based Health Resources
- Plant-Based Food & Recipes
- The Ultimate Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition
- Plant-Based Nutrition Resources
- Budget-Friendly Plant-Based Recipes
- High Protein Plant-Based Recipes
- Plant-Based Meal Prep
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!