Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
The United Arab Emirates (UAE) is taking a bold step towards a more sustainable future by declaring 2023 the “Year of Sustainability“. This nationwide campaign is aimed at encouraging citizens to adopt sustainable lifestyle choices that can improve their health outcomes as well as reducing their environmental impact. As part of this initiative, the public will be encouraged to consume plant-based diets, waste less food, eat appropriate-sized portions, and make other sustainable lifestyle choices such as avoiding fast fashion and reducing water use.
One of the key components of the campaign is the promotion of plant-based diets, which has seen a rapid rise in interest in the UAE in recent years. This follows a report last year, which predicted that the country’s market for meat alternatives would grow with a “formidable CAGR” through to 2028. Brands like THRYVE, the Gulf Cooperation Council’s first 100% plant-based meat venture, and Moving Mountains and VBites, two popular plant-based brands, have entered the UAE market due to growing demand. Additionally, the country has seen a rise in homegrown producers such as the children’s food brand Sprout.
Not only does adopting a plant-based diet reduce environmental impact, but it can also have positive health outcomes, as research shows that a plant-based diet can reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, and some types of cancer. In addition, a plant-based diet can improve overall well-being and promote weight loss.
The Year of Sustainability campaign also encourages the public to make other sustainable lifestyle choices, such as avoiding fast fashion and reducing water use. Fast fashion is a significant contributor to environmental damage, as it relies on the unsustainable production of materials and produces a large amount of waste. By choosing to buy secondhand or sustainable clothing options, we can help reduce our environmental impact. Additionally, reducing water use can help conserve this precious resource and reduce our environmental footprint.
As the UAE prepares to host the COP28 climate summit later this year, the country’s commitment to sustainability sends a strong message to the world. The actions taken by individuals can have a significant impact on the environment, and by making sustainable lifestyle choices, we can work towards a more sustainable future for ourselves and future generations.
In conclusion, the UAE’s Year of Sustainability campaign is a positive step towards a more sustainable future. By adopting plant-based diets and making other sustainable lifestyle choices, we can reduce our environmental impact and improve our health outcomes. As individuals, we can contribute to a better world by making conscious choices every day. Let’s take inspiration from the UAE’s initiative and pledge to make sustainable choices “today for tomorrow”.
- Over 17,000 Doctors Ask Biden Administration to Put Plant-Based Diets at Forefront of Nutrition Policy
- 7 Quick and Easy Ingredient Swaps That Make Plant-Based Diets Easier
- Unilever Scientists Finally Agree Plant-Based Diets are Healthy
- New 5-Year Research Program Will Examine How Plant-Based Diets Can Prevent Chronic Illnesses
- Why Doctors Need to Talk About Plant-Based Diets
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!