Olive oil is a pantry staple that many people use almost daily. TikTok user @theholistichusband warns his audience about buying certain types of olive oil that could potentially be harmful to your health.
He says everyone should avoid buying olive oil in clear plastic bottles as much as they can. Olive oil is very sensitive to light, heat, and oxygen. As a result, chemicals from the plastic can seep into the oil, dramatically changing its flavor and quality.
You also want to avoid storing your olive oil in reactive metal containers, like iron or copper, which can cause a reaction with the oil, making it unsafe. @theholistichusband warns people that olive oil in these clear plastic containers has a higher likelihood to become rancid and bad for your health if left in its container for long periods of time, or exposed to light, heat, and oxygen. Instead, he recommends buying extra virgin olive oil that comes in dark glass containers.
Extra virgin olive oil is an unrefined oil extracted from a plant and is packed full of natural antioxidants, polyphenols, and chlorophyll. When it is exposed to sunlight, the light interacts with the chlorophyll and creates a chemical reaction known as photo-oxidation. This reaction can potentially destabilize the olive oil and lower its quality. Not only are glass bottles more aesthetically pleasing, but a study shows that dark glass will better prevent oxidation and lock a good amount of the harmful light rays that can damage the oil.
- Fake Healthy Foods To Avoid At The Grocery Store [Video]
- 5 Foods a Vegan Dietitian Always Gets at the Grocery Store [VIDEO]
- Viral TikTok Nutrition Trends You Should Avoid
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.