The Louisiana Coastal Protection and Restoration Authority proposed a plan that could cause hundreds of intelligent, social dolphins to suffer and die. The plan is to divert large amounts of water and sediment from the Mississippi River directly into Barataria Bay to restore coastal ecosystems that naturally offer flood protection for coastal cities, says a news source. The state says it must be built as it is the best chance for restoring the coast. However, a growing number of people are in opposition to the project, calling it a risky, expensive experiment that could harm dolphin populations and the region’s fishing industry.
This plan will pose fundamental risks to dolphins, causing low salinity in their home waters, which can trigger “severe psychological reactions.” This project must be halted until a safer, more humane alternative can be found.
While restoration is important, we must ensure that we avoid harm to dolphins and prevent them from becoming collateral damage in the process. Sign this petition to demand the Louisiana Coastal Protection and Restoration Authority halt plans to divert freshwater and sediment into Barataria Bay, which will kill dolphins!
To continue speaking up, sign these other petitions as well:
- Protect Eastern Indigo Snakes
- Protect Birds from Crashing into Windows
- Urge Authorities to Find Animal Abusers in the UK
- Ban Duck Hunting in Victoria
- Justice for Dog Thrown Out of a Moving Car
- Urge Florida to Recommend Children get Vaccinated
- Call on Amazon to Become Carbon Neutral
- Demand Congress Protect North Atlantic Right Whales from Going Extinct
- Tell Missouri to Reject Abortion Bill
- Pressure the US Government to Clean Up Racist Air Pollution Practices
- Ask Swiss Lawmakers to Ban Eating Dogs and Cats
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!