Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
A mother dog, possibly seeking a haven to give birth, met with a tragic accident that ended her life. The dogs were discovered by the team at Austin Pets Alive!, an organization committed to rescuing and rehabilitating animals in need. Their president and CEO, Dr. Ellen Jefferson, expressed her shock at the heartbreaking nature of the incident, noting that this was an unprecedented case for them.
Upon arriving at the scene, the team discovered six newborn puppies still attached to their deceased mother’s umbilical cord. The team’s quick action was crucial, as the fragile puppies were in a critical state. Dr. Jefferson revealed that the mother’s body had likely shielded the puppies from the impact, but their vulnerability was further heightened by the fact that they were unable to receive vital nutrients and antibodies from their mother’s milk.
The team’s priority was clear: to save these fragile lives and give them the best possible chance at survival. Transporting the puppies to a secure location, the staff at Austin Pets Alive! immediately began their diligent work. The situation required round-the-clock care, as these “bottle babies,” unable to survive without proper nourishment, needed to be fed and weighed every few hours.
Allison Swearingen, the dog adoption manager at Austin Pets Alive!, emphasized the significance of having dedicated foster carers ready to provide immediate care. She highlighted that the first few hours of a puppy’s life were crucial, and this round-the-clock care was instrumental in their survival.
The story of the Lockhart puppies highlights the importance of a community rallying together to provide Support. Austin Pets Alive! emphasized the financial challenges associated with caring for such fragile puppies, with the cost per puppy estimated at around $1,000.
The journey for these puppies is just beginning. Over the next eight to twelve weeks, they will remain in the care of foster homes, receiving the attention, nourishment, and medical observation they need to thrive. The ultimate goal is to find loving forever homes for these resilient pups.
We encourage everyone thinking of getting a pet to only adopt instead of shopping. Read more resources about adopting animals on One Green Planet, including 7 Reasons to Adopt Your Next Furry Best Friend, 5 Reasons Why Everyone Should Adopt a Pet, and These Heartwarming Before and After Pictures of Adopted Rescue Animals Will Make Your Day! Read tips for pet adoptions and what to consider before adopting an animal. We recommend using these apps to find shelter dogs near you!
- Watch the Rescue of a Homeless Dog and 8 Puppies in a Heavy Rainstorm! [Video]
- Heartwarming Story of Two Puppies Found in Dumpster Who Got a Second Chance at Life
- Maltipoo Dog Proudly Introduces Newborn Puppies to Her Human
- 4 Times Cats Came to the Rescue and Parented Puppies
- Florida Animal Shelter Rescues Abandoned Mother Dog and Puppies, Fights to Save Their Lives
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade repeatedly.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!