If you want to save your favorite clothing items and the environment, this hack is for you! This Tiktoker shared the benefits of using a drying rack instead of a dryer. Not only is this drying method energy-efficient, but it’s also easier on your clothes and will help them retain their integrity over time.
@juulian.c Everybody loves a rack. A drying rack #thrift #sustainablefashion #clothinghacks ♬ Raingurl – Yaeji
Since the fibers in clothes contain natural moisture, the heat from a drying machine can cause the fibers to overdry and cause them to break. The aggressive turning off of the dryer creates even more friction on the fabrics. Although air-drying takes significantly longer than machine-drying, this method is completely free, and you can feel proud of reducing your energy consumption and carbon footprint. Natural sunlight and air do just as good if not a better job at drying your clothes than an energy-consuming dryer. You can also avoid unwanted breaking down of elasticity in garments and stretching of the fabric.
Using an air-drying rack is not only more sustainable and better for the environment, but your favorite clothing items will be able to retain their integrity and ultimately last longer!
- Birds are Nesting Almost a Month Earlier Due to Climate Change
- 10 Amazing Rescues of Sick, Injured, and Abandoned Birds
- Why We Need Birds and How to Protect Them From Extinction
- How to Help Birds During Colder Seasons
- Four Birds Join the UK’s Endangered Red List
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!