Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
The research also revealed that 1 out of 10 households with an abuser ended in the household pet being killed by the perpetrator. It also showed that 94 percent of the time, when pets were given as gifts, the abuser would eventually kill them. The research involved 107 survivors of domestic abuse to analyze the effect that this kind of abuse has on pets as well.
“Unfortunately, this new research revealing further links between animal abuse and domestic abuse is not shocking to us. We see first-hand the myriad ways that perpetrators use dogs to coerce, control, physically harm and threaten within abusive relationships. This is incredibly frightening for survivors and is often aimed to leave people isolated. We have heard of perpetrators not letting survivors walk their dogs alone, stopping them from accessing vet care for their dogs or being able to spend money on dog food, and even repeatedly threatening to harm, kill or ‘get rid’ of their dogs.”
This research was done in collaboration with Dogs Trust as they are trying to spread awareness about the effects of domestic abuse on animals, especially as the research indicates that pets are often used as part of controlling and abusive behavior.
While we cannot change the horrific treatment that many animals have already endured in the past, we have the ability to give animals a voice and hold perpetrators accountable for crimes in the present and the future. Many animal abusers are not held accountable by the law, which feeds into this horrific cycle of abuse. You can sign this petition to demand all states make all animal abuse a felony.
- 9 Tips to Get Your Pets to Behave Around Guests This Holiday Season
- Iranian Pet Owners Outraged Over Proposed Ban on Pets
- Tips for Keeping Pets Safe on Halloween
- Why These 5 Wild Animals Should Never be Kept as Pets
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!