What Is Glutathione?
Source: Spartan Up/YouTube
Often called the “master antioxidant,” glutathione is an essential antioxidant naturally present in every cell in the body. It also happens to be the most abundant antioxidant in our bodies.
It’s made up mainly of three amino acids:
It plays a powerful role in many important bodily functions in the body.
Functions of Glutathione
- Builds DNA
- Tissue Repair
- Helps Support immune function
- Reduces free radicals in the body
- Helps form sperm cells
- Rebuilds essential vitamins (C and E)
Health Benefits of Glutathione
Healthy levels of glutathione positively affect vital bodily processes such as:
- Strong antioxidant levels
- Preventing cancer progression
- Reducing cell damage in liver disease
- Improving insulin sensitivity
Where Can You Find It?
Glutathione naturally occurs in many foods but can also be taken in supplement form.
- Sulfur-rich foods (Nuts, Seeds, Grains, Legumes)
- Foods rich in vitamin C (Citrus, Bell Peppers, Strawberries, Tomatoes)
- Allium-rich foods (Garlic, Onions, Chives, Scallions)
- Cruciferous vegetables (Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Kale)
- Selenium-rich foods (Brazil nuts, Mushrooms, Asparagus, Whole grains)
Is Glutathione Safe?
Source: Dr. Vanita Rattan/YouTube
A diet rich in glutathione does not pose any risks. However, it’s best to talk to your doctor before adding supplements to your diet. Glutathione may not be for everyone, and a professional can help you determine if it’s right for you.
As you can see, glutathione is a super powerful antioxidant and has gained a lot of attention in the health community for a good reason. Boosting glutathione either through supplementation or by enriching your diet with glutathione-rich foods may promote many health benefits!
- Eat These Healthy Foods to Bring Balance to the Mind and Body
- How to Take Care of Your Circadian Rhythm
- 10 Health and Wellness Predictions for 2022
- Five Amazing Plant-Based Healing Foods Used Around The World
- How to Start Going to Therapy
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade repeatedly.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and essential stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.