What Is Glutathione?
Source: Spartan Up/YouTube
Often called the “master antioxidant,” glutathione is an essential antioxidant naturally present in every cell in the body. It also happens to be the most abundant antioxidant in our bodies.
It’s made up mainly of three amino acids:
It plays a powerful role in many important bodily functions in the body.
Functions of Glutathione
- Builds DNA
- Tissue Repair
- Helps support immune function
- Reduces free radicals in the body
- Helps form sperm cells
- Rebuilds essential vitamins (C and E)
Health Benefits of Glutathione
Healthy levels of glutathione positively affect vital bodily processes such as:
- Strong antioxidant levels
- Preventing cancer progression
- Reducing cell damage in liver disease
- Improving insulin sensitivity
Where Can You Find It?
Glutathione naturally occurs in many foods but can also be taken in supplement form.
- Sulfur-Rich Foods (Nuts, Seeds, Grains, Legumes)
- foods rich in vitamin C (Citrus, Bell Peppers, Strawberries, Tomatoes)
- Allium-Rich Foods (Garlic, Onions, Chives, Scallions)
- Cruciferous Vegetables (Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Kale)
- Selenium-Rich Foods (Brazil nuts, Mushrooms, Asparagus, Whole grains)
Is Glutathione Safe?
Source: Dr. Vanita Rattan/YouTube
A diet rich in glutathione does not pose any risks. However, it’s best to talk to your doctor before adding supplements to your diet. Glutathione may not be for everyone, and a professional can help you determine if it’s right for you.
As you can see, glutathione is a super powerful antioxidant and has gained a lot of attention in the health community for a good reason. Boosting glutathione either through supplementation or by enriching your diet with glutathione-rich foods may promote many health benefits!
- Eat These Healthy Foods to Bring Balance to the Mind and Body
- How to Take Care of Your Circadian Rhythm
- 10 Health and Wellness Predictions for 2022
- Five Amazing Plant-Based Healing Foods Used Around The World
- How to Start Going to Therapy
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on the App Store. With over 15,000 delicious recipes, it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!