Bloody beauty? No thank you. Think only leather and meat are murder? Think again. Dead animal ingredients lurk even in your makeup, so watch out. Even if you’re not vegan, staining your lips with dead insects’ extracts won’t be appealing or truly aesthetic to say the least, so why buy it in a sanitized, attractive package?
A little education goes a long way. Watch out for non-vegan ingredients usually found in makeup such as:
- beeswax (often found in lip products)
- carmine (from cochineal or smashed bugs, usually added to red or pink blush-on or lip products)
- pearl powder
- allantoin (from the uric acid of cows/mammals, sometimes added to mineral makeup)
- collagen (either from animals or human placenta)
- silk powder
- elastin (usually found in mascaras; derived from cows)
Also, companies that have vegan formulations but test their products on animals cannot be considered vegan because animals still suffer and die in the process. So…without further ado, we present to you a cruelty-free makeup list so that you can easily put your most compassionate face forward!