Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Everyone loves to smell nice, and a signature scent is actually a really fun way to stand out from the crowd. Unfortunately, many of those pretty bottles in the department stores are filled with toxic and dangerous chemicals. In fact, studies show that the ingredients often found in store-bought perfumes and colognes can trigger a slew of health problems. For example, these common chemicals can trigger allergic reactions, asthma-like symptoms, and chronic headaches. And what’s even more alarming, the toxicity levels can be so high that they have been linked to certain cancers and thyroid complications.
However, there’s good news! Making your own perfume is as easy as picking up a few key ingredients from your local health food store. So instead of dealing with all of those horrible chemicals, let’s make our own signature scent the One Green Planet way:
The first step in this process is to pick a neutral base for your perfume. For a liquid consistency, choose an alcohol such as vodka. Another option is to use a thin oil – jojoba or almond oil are perfect for this method. The most common formula is a 1:1 mixture of oil and alcohol, but using both is certainly not necessary. Coconut oil is another great option for a more solid perfume. If heavy oils aren’t your thing, consider making a body mist by simply starting with filtered water and essential oils.
Now here’s where it gets fun! It’s time to experiment and find out which scents speak to you and your personal style. Spend some time in the natural products section of your grocery store, or even the bulk herbs and spices department! Focus on which scents stand out to you and what kind of vibe you’re going for. Is floral your thing or do you prefer to smell like a decadent dessert? While there is an endless number of ways to mix and match scents to your liking, having a loose formula to go by will help you find one that is unique and complex. Just pick an essential oil you enjoy and play around with the amounts until you find one you like.
Once you’ve found your winning combination, it’s time to choose your preferred method of application. Roller balls are great for oil-based perfumes – that way you know exactly where you’re applying it so you can avoid getting it on your clothes or other valuables. Spray bottles are great for alcohol or water mixtures. If you started with a more solid base such as coconut oil, a cute tin or glass container will work best. Solid perfumes are a great addition to your beauty travel bag as they’re convenient and mess-free. There may also be a few ways to store your perfume by reusing items you already have on hand.
Now that you know all the basics, we hope that you have fun creating your very own scent. Just in case you’re still scratching your head, here’s a quick recipe to get you inspired.
DIY Homemade Perfume
(Fills one small rollerball container)
- 1 oz jojoba oil
- 1 oz distilled water
- 5 drops jasmine oil
- 3 drops lemon oil
- 3 drops orange oil
- 3 drops sandalwood oil
*Note* (You can buy essential oils anywhere online or in health food stores. Buy pure essential oil so you can be sure it’s 100 percent safe.)
Combine ingredients in a small container and lightly mix by tipping the bottle back and forth. Apply to wrists, behind the ear, and/or neck. On average, the perfume should linger for 2-3 hours. Feel free to reapply throughout the day as needed.
You can smell incredible and be chemical free all at the same time. Your body and health will thank you for years to come. The best part? Everyone else will be dying to know your signature (green) scent!
Do you make your own perfume?
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!