As we age, our natural oil production decreases, creating dry skin that, over time, is less resilient to the constant stretching of our muscles, resulting in wrinkles. Besides eating healthy, plant-based foods, the logical solution to prevent wrinkles is to simply replace the lost oils! There are plenty of products on the market that claim to do just that. But pick up any bottle of the latest anti-aging or wrinkle cream and read the ingredient list; if you aren’t shocked by the difficult-to-pronounce-or-identify ingredients, then you just might be shocked by how many ingredients there are!
Our skin is the largest organ in our body and the first barrier of defense against bacteria, viruses, and disease. Natural oils are lipophilic, which means they slip easily and quickly right into the lipid layer of the skin, trapping water and moisture inside. Many commercial wrinkle creams contain oils, but those oils are mixed with chemical fragrances and other toxic ingredients that hitch a ride right into that lipid layer. Rather than be boosted by the supplemental oils, your body now must spend energy combating those toxic intruders!
Natural oils contain nothing to cause the immune system alarm, can be absorbed safely, effectively, and retain moisture. Plus, the nutrients and proteins in essential oils actually encourage cell-regeneration and won’t clog pores! Why spend excessive amounts of money on counterproductive poisonous commercial creams when you can make your own safe and effective recipes at home? Here are 5 DIY Anti-Aging Serums that contain natural oils to prevent and combat wrinkles:
1. Rosehip & Carrot Seed Facial Serum
You’ve likely heard the term Retinol tossed around in skincare advertisements. That’s because retinol is a form of Vitamin A, which is highly antioxidant, great at repairing damaged tissue, and reducing scars and wrinkles. Rosehip seed oil is especially high in retinol, as well as omega fatty acids, and the potent antioxidants lycopene and beta-carotene.
Carrot seed oil is packed with vitamins and nutrients, most important of which are carotenoids. Carotenoids can boost the body’s immune response to UV rays, which makes it excellent at preventing sun damage. Carrot seed oil also detoxifies and stimulates the rejuvenation of cells.
This great recipe combines both these amazing oils to create a fantastic moisturizing serum for mature, dry, or damaged skin.
2. Anti-Wrinkle Eye Cream
This Anti-Wrinkle Eye Cream recipe is thickened with beeswax, so if you choose not to use bee products, you can substitute with any of these natural waxes. In addition to rosehip and carrot seed oils, this cream uses apricot kernel oil. Apricot kernel oil is high in gamma linoleum acid, which helps balance moisture levels in the skin. It’s also full of vitamins A & E; both super skin rejuvenating. It’s easily absorbed and non-greasy.
3. Eczema Cream
Worse than wrinkles are dry scaly patches caused by eczema! If you suffer from this common skin condition (or even if you don’t) you’ll love the hydrating and repairing power of this great DIY cream. It contains only four ingredients, one of which is geranium oil. Geranium oil is astringent, which means it tightens the skin, reducing sagging. In addition to stimulating cell regeneration, it’s antibacterial — great for those prone to acne!
4. Coconut Whipped Body Butter
Coconut oil is readily available and very popular right now because of its ample benefits to skin and body. It’s a natural, easily absorbed moisturizer that is solid at room temperature. Coconut oil can protect from free radicals and delays wrinkles and sagging skin. When whipped in a stand mixer, this delicious body butter is silky smooth, and can be used on the face as well as the body.
5. Olive Oil Cleanser and Moisturizer
Many natural oils can be used to clean skin as well as moisturize, as is the case with this simple Olive Oil Cleanser and Moisturizer recipe. And olive oil is highly anti-inflammatory, making it ideal for sensitive or acne riddled skin. It protects against free radicals, as well as having antimicrobial properties.
Give some of these recipes a try, and let us know how it goes!
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
I\’ve been using different kinds of masks and even tried some home remedy until I’ve stumbled upon this trial offer from Cosmedique. I was fortunate enough to read the terms and condition before paying for the shipping cost. To be honest, after trying it for 15 days I notice a difference in my skin and actually loved the product. I use this product as my all in one product and it removed the bumps in my chin area and the circles under my eyes. However, the cost is way out of my budget. I tried sending an email to their support asking for instructions on how to return the product, even though I love it. They offered me a discount to keep the product and they also gave me a discount if I continue with the subscription. I’m just happy I’m one of the few who read the terms first before buying anything online.
Thank you or the blog, The best anti-aging cream I have used is Monsia.