Researchers note that this is the first study of its kind that found traces of toxins from algal blooms in the air above a lake. It’s not clear whether the toxins are harmful to animals or humans, but scientists warn the discovery is concerning.
Traces of the algal toxin anatoxin-a, or ATX were measured above a pond in Massachusetts. Scientists aren’t sure how the toxins are becoming airborne.
“ATX is one of the more dangerous cyanotoxins produced by harmful algal blooms, which are becoming more predominant in lakes and ponds worldwide due to global warming and climate change,” lead author James Sutherland, an environmental scientist with the Nantucket Land Council, said in a news release.
Scientists said that further research is needed to test the blooms but scientists are warning people to be careful approaching ponds with algal blooms.
“People often recreate around these lakes and ponds with algal blooms without any awareness of the potential problems,” said Sutherland. ” Direct contact or inhalation of these cyanotoxins can present health risks for individuals, and we have reported a potential human health exposure not previously examined.”
Sign this petition to demand that the EPA create a more comprehensive approach to informing the public of and protecting them from algal blooms
- Toxic Algal Blooms to Blame for Mass Elephant Deaths in Botswana
- Toxic Algae Blooms Threaten Humans and Marine Animals: How We Can Make a Difference
- 169 Toxic Algae Blooms Were Reported Last Year – Here’s What Your Cheeseburger Has to Do With That
- Reality Check: Our Obsession With Cheese is Turning Lake Erie Into Toxic Dump
- Animal Agriculture – Killing More than Just Cows. How Farm Run-Off Threatens Marine Life.
- The Great Lakes are in Great Trouble, but There’s One Simple Thing You Can Do to Save Them.
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy!
Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!