Fox8 reports that as things open up, people get vaccinated and return to work during the pandemic, pets might be anxious when their owners leave them behind. Celebrity dog trainer Joel Silverman shares some tips.
Celebrity dog trainer Joel Silverman shared with the outlet, “There are some dogs that may be more needy or dependent on you. Now all of a sudden you have been there for three months, six months, nine months, and all of a sudden you got to go back to work.”
Many dogs might wait anxiously at the door or scratch walls while an owner is out at work.
Rescue Alliance Director of Operations Jonathan Henriques shared, “Some pets will undergo what’s actually called pet separation anxiety to where they actually will go wandering around the house, some will defecate or urinate, it’s not a form of retaliation, but it’s like their world was turned upside down.”
How do you ease their anxiety? “Come in the house with treats to show them, hey, here I am, I love you. I’m home and it actually will help them with coping with the fact that you’ve been away all day,” said Henriques. You can also take your pet on a long walk or get them new toys to help ease the separation.
Source: McCann Dog Training/YouTube
We encourage everyone thinking of getting a pet to adopt instead of shop. Read more resources about adopting animals on One Green Planet, including 7 Reasons to Adopt Your Next Furry Best Friend, 5 Reasons Why Everyone Should Adopt a Pet, and These Heartwarming Before and After Pictures of Adopted Rescue Animals Will Make Your Day! Read tips for pet adoptions and what to consider before adopting an animal. We recommend using these apps to find shelter dogs near you!
- Situations That Can Cause Stress in Pets — and Steps You Can Take to Prevent Them
- Important Things to Know Before Traveling With Pets
- Caring for Your Aging Pet – What You Need to Know
- Can’t Go Outside? Fun Ways to Exercise Your Dog Indoors
- 4 Reasons You Should Never Keep a Dog on a Tether or Chain
- How to Get Anxious or Motion Sick Dogs to Ride in the Car
- 10 Essential Pet Disaster Preparedness Tips
- 7 Safety Tips to Keep in Mind When Exploring the Outdoors With Your Pets
- 6 Tips for Helping New Pets Adjust to Their Home
- Easy Tips to Pet Proof Your Home and Make Sure All Your Furry Friends Stay Safe
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!