Not only does the leather trade threaten the innocent lives of animals, but it’s detrimental to the environment as well. The industry requires huge amounts of land, water, and other resources to raise the animals who are then slaughtered for their skin and flesh. The livestock industry has serious environmental ramifications and is one of the world’s largest contributors to greenhouse gas emissions.
Statista has reported that the global market value of the leather industry was around $217bn in 2016. Whether farmed for meat, milk, or their skin, each of these animals suffers in extremely cruel conditions. Sign this petition to demand major fashion brands like Prada, Versace, Armani, Michael Kors, Zara, H&M, Coach, Chanel, and more replace animal leather with plant-based alternatives!
To continue speaking up, sign these other petitions as well:
- Stop Germany From Killing “Excess” Laboratory Animals
- Prevent Animals and Children From Dying in Hot Cars
- Demand the British Parliament stop shipping refugees to Rwanda
- Urge Congress to pass strong gun control legislation
- Scrap policy preventing LGBTQ+ people from donating blood
- Punish Paul Gosar for blaming trans people for the Robb school shooting
- Tell the Senate to pass the Equality Act for Pride Month
- Protect the Blakiston fish owls’ habitat now
- Demand Justice For Four Wolves Poisoned by Poachers
- Tell Nike and Puma to stop selling kangaroo leather products
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!