Making your own dog biscuits is so easy and getting to choose your own ingredients is priceless. These taste like shortbread which I know because they are human-friendly too!
These biscuits cook so quickly, you’ll want to make a fresh batch every week. Add whatever flavors your furry kid likes best – sweet potato, pumpkin, carob, etc. These Peanut Butter Biscuits will have lots of tails wagging with happiness. Enjoy!
Peanut Butter Dog Biscuits
Soy-Free | Makes 60 2-inch biscuits
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour or 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour and 1/2 cup sorghum flour
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbs. peanut butter
- 2 tsp. molasses
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 3/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare two large baking sheets with parchment paper. In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the peanut butter, molasses, vanilla and coconut oil. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Add the water and mix until you have a dough. Add more flour or water as needed; the dough should be smooth.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 15 minutes. Chilled dough is smoother and easier to work with. When you are ready to use the dough, unwrap it and cut it in half. Put half back in the refrigerator to keep chilled while you work with the other half.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead a few minutes. Roll the dough out to about 1/2 inch thickness. Using cookie cutters, press out shapes. Put the biscuits on the baking sheet. Re-roll the leftover dough and press out more biscuits. Continue until you have used all the dough.
- Bake for 18 minutes, turning the pans around half-way through. If you use bigger cookie cutters, the biscuits will need to bake longer. They are ready when the biscuits are browned and crisp. Let cool on the baking sheets for 2 minutes, and then transfer to a plate. Store the biscuits in a closed container. Woof!