This baked potato dish is simple, grain-free, and packed with nutrition. It involves using turmeric hummus as one of the baked sweet potato fillings. After baking sweet potatoes whole, stuff them with a healthy slathering of the hummus, a fresh green salad of spinach leaves, lettuce, mint, and a healthy handful of pomegranate!
Baked Sweet Potato Stuffed With Turmeric Hummus [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Turmeric Hummus:
- 8.8 ounces cooked chickpeas
- zest and juice of 1 large lemon zest and juice
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder, optional
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
For the Baked Sweet Potato:
- 2 large sweet potatoes or regular potato
- 1 cup spinach or greens of choice
- 1 cup lettuce, optional
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, optional
- 1/2 pomegranate
To Make the Baked Potato:
- Pre heat the oven to 355°F.
- Scrub the sweet potato clean and dry. Lay it on a parchment-lined tray and bake for anywhere between 45 and 60 minutes depending on the size of the sweet potato. You know it is ready when it starts giving out sticky juices.
To Make the Turmeric Hummus:
- Add all the ingredients mentioned above for the hummus into a food processor. Make sure you add the zest of the lemon as well as the juice. Start by adding half cup of water.
- Blend till smooth in the processor. Check the texture. If it is too dry add more water. If you prefer it thicker, do not add any more water. Check the seasoning and adjust the salt and lemon juice. It should be a bright yellow color and creamy and smooth in texture.
To Make the Salad Topping:
- Roughly chop the lettuce, spinach and herbs and mix together. Pop the pomegranate and separate the seeds.
- Carefully place the sweet potatoes on a serving platter or individual serving plates. Using a knife split the sweet potato from top to bottom but and not completely. Be careful this may be very hot.
- Take a generous scoop of the turmeric hummus and stuff each sweet potato. Press into each sweet potato and fill in as much as possible.
- Add a handful of the chopped green salad on top and press down into the hummus. Scatter with the pomegranate seeds and serve hot or warm.