A bowl if this chili will keep you warm on chilly nights. When prepared ahead of time, the intense flavors from all the spices and other ingredients, such as cumin powder, fresh chili, garlic, and cocoa powder blend together, making this chili taste even better.
Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili [Vegan]
- 2 1/2 cups tomato puree
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 1/2 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped to 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground cumin powder
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 fresh red chili, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 5 cups cooked black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro, for garnishing
- In a saucepan, bring tomato puree, tomato paste, and water (or vegetable broth, if used) to a boil over medium-high heat. Add sweet potato cubes, cocoa powder, salt, and cumin powder. Simmer for approximately 12 minutes.
- While the sweet potato is cooking, heat a saute pan over high heat until it is hot. Reduce the heat to medium. Add olive oil and wait for 10 seconds until the oil is hot, but not smoky hot. Add garlic, red chili, and yellow onion and saute until onions are translucent and softened. Add green and red bell peppers and saute for 2 minutes.
- Transfer the sauteed vegetables and rinsed black beans into the saucepan. Stir briefly and let them simmer with the sweet potatoes for 3 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are easily pierced with fork.
- Garnish with cilantro before serving.