A warm salad that combines cooked spelt berries with sauteed kale, apple, and walnuts. Tossed with a cinnamon-spiced balsamic vinaigrette, this salad is the perfect addition to your dinner table!
Spelt Berry Salad With Cinnamon Balsamic Vinaigrette [Vegan]
- 1 cup spelt berries or wheat berries
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoon grapeseed oil, or cooking oil of choice
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 cup kale, chopped
- 1 apple, diced
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2 teaspoon fresh sage, finely chopped
- Add 1 cup spelt berries to 3 cups of boiling water. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 60-80 minutes.
- While spelt berries are cooking, whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 5-6 minutes. Add cooked spelt berries, kale, apple, and walnuts and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes. Toss with vinaigrette and transfer to serving bowl.