Need a last minute appetizer to serve to company? This dip infused with Egyptian flavors is quick and simple to make, but it's bursting with flavor. Red bell peppers and almonds are puréed with caraway seeds, cumin, coriander, and chili flakes to make it spicy. Serve it with crackers and crisp veggies.
Roasted Red Pepper Almond and Harissa Dip [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 medium red bell peppers
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 small garlic clove, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon dried chili flakes, or more or less depending on desired heat
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Black pepper
- Caraway seed dukkah, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and place the whole peppers on a rimmed baking sheet covered with parchment and place in the oven for 30-40 minutes, until the skins are completely wrinkled and the peppers are charred, turning them twice during roasting. Remove the pan from the oven and immediately cover it tightly with aluminum foil. Set aside for 30 minutes or so, until the peppers are cool enough to handle. Remove the stem and seeds and peel off the skins. Give peppers a rough chop and place into the bowl of a food processor.
- While the peppers are roasting, toast the almonds in a heavy bottomed skillet until brown and fragrant, let cool then add the almonds to the food processor.
- Pulse peppers and almonds together until roughly combined, then add remaining ingredients and blend to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Place dip in the fridge to set for at least 30 minutes before serving. Will keep in the fridge for a few days in a sealed container.