An Easter favorite, indulge yourself with some lovely, sticky vegan hot cross buns. A hot cross bun is a spiced sweet bun made with raisins that are marked with a cross on the top. Traditionally, they are eaten on Good Friday. Serve these fresh from the oven with some butter and jam. Simplicity at its best.
Hot Cross Buns [Vegan]
For the Buns:
- 1 4/5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Zest of 1/2 an orange
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin spice
- 1 1/3 teaspoons fast acting yeast
- 1/2 cup plus 1/2 tablespoon unsweetened soy milk
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon orange peel or mixed peel
- 1/8 cup raisins
For the Cross:
- 2 tablespoons flour
For the Glaze:
- 3 tablespoons apricot jam
- In a small saucepan, warm the soy milk with the vegan butter until melted, the milk should be warm (not hot). Place in a big bowl and sprinkle the yeast over it. Mix and let stand for 10 minutes to activate the yeast.
- In the meantime, mix the flour, sugar, orange zest, salt, and spices. Add the flour to the yeast mix.
- Using a wooden spoon, mix well until you have a rough dough, then transfer to a clean flour dusted work surface and knead for around 10 minutes, or until soft and springy.
- Return the dough to an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and leave to rise in a warm place until double the size (about 1 hour).
- Sprinkle the mixed peel and raisins over the dough and knead for another 1-2 minutes until the fruits are incorporated.
- Cover with plastic wrap and leave to rise for another hour.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces and roll each into balls. Evenly space them out on a lined baking tray.
- Cover again with plastic wrap and leave in a warm place for a further 30-60 minutes. Preheat the oven to 380°F.
- Place the flour and 2 tablespoons water into a small bowl and mix to a thick paste.
- Use the batter to carefully trace a cross over the top with a piping bag or spoon.
- Bake for 20 minutes on the middle shelf of the oven, until golden brown.
- Gently heat the apricot jam to melt, then sieve to get rid of any chunks.
- While the jam is still warm, brush over the top of the warm buns and leave to cool.