These simple, savory tartines bring out the best of their fresh ingredients. Garlicky, cheesy basil pine nut pesto sits atop a thick slice of ciabatta bread, followed by salted slices of heirloom tomato. It's so good, you might just want to eat it as a sandwich.
Heirloom Tomato Tartines [Vegan]
For the Tartine:
- 2 slices ciabatta bread, grilled or not
- Pesto (recipe below)
- 4 slices heirloom tomatoes
- Flaky sea salt
For the Pesto:
- 2 cups basil leaves
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/4-1/3 cup good olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- In a food processor place basil leaves, pine nuts, garlic, and nutritional yeast and process for about 30 seconds or until nuts begin to breakdown.
- With the processor running, drizzle in olive oil until well blended or to your likeness.
- Add salt to taste and pulse a few times to incorporate.
- To assemble the tartines, spread one side of 2 slices of good bread with pesto, layer with slices of heirloom tomatoes, and sprinkle with good flaky sea salt.