The base of the stew uses lots of onions, some garlic, rosemary and thyme thrown in for good measure. The vegetables are then added in and we have a wonderful deep sauce that thickens and simmers the vegetables into soft and tender perfection, in short just what winter is made for.
Hearty Stout and Mixed Vegetable Stew [Vegan]
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups of chopped white onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons powdered cumin
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped thyme
- 2 medium-sized potatoes, cut into eights
- 1 sweet potato, cubed
- 2 medium-sized carrots, peeled and cut to match the potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups good quality vegan stout
- 1 cup Cremini or White Button mushrooms, halved
- 1 tablespoons dried cranberries
- Chives ,to garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pot such as a Dutch oven. Add in the onions and cook the onions low and slow until they soften and begin to turn a soft share of toffee gold. This will take about 10-15 minutes and will need occasional stirring.
- Add in the garlic and the ginger (if using) and cook for a couple of minutes. Stir in the salt, cayenne pepper, sugar, cumin, rosemary, and thyme and mix well.
- Add in the potatoes, sweet potatoes and the carrots and add in the stout with 1 cup of water. Bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for about 1 1/2 hours. Remove the cover and check, the vegetables should be fair tender and the sauce should be an even deep brown.
- Add in the mushrooms and cranberries and cook the stew on medium heat for 10 minutes to let the sauce thicken.
- Cool slightly and serve garnished with chives.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS