Meet the perfect brunchtime meal. In this recipe, ripe plantains are sliced and fried until the edges are sweet and caramelized and sandwiched between two slices of coconut milk French toast. The toast is crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside, with notes of warm nutmeg and cinnamon. Serve this French toast sandwich with a drizzle of maple syrup and a side of savory hash browns.
Friend Plantain French Toast Sandwich [Vegan]
This Recipe is :
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut shreds
- 3-4 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 1 Medjool date
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- A dash or two of cardamom
- A dash of allspice
- A tiny pinch of sea salt
- 4 slices of bread, any kind, toasted to prevent sogginess
- 1 plantain, black specked, sliced diagonally
- Start by making the coconut milk. Boil some water in a kettle. Add the shredded coconut to your blender. Add 1/2 cup hot water from the kettle. Allow to sit for a few minutes while you gather your other ingredients.
- Add another 1/2 cup of water, cold or room temperature, to the blender. Blend on high for a minute. Strain the milk through a fine mesh strainer, rinse blender, and add the milk back in.
- Add 3-4 tablespoons of arrowroot powder, 1 soft Medjool date, and spices to the blender. Blend until smooth. Pour into a shallow dish and allow to sit while you toast the bread.
- Heat a skillet and add a teaspoon of coconut oil to it. Give the coconut milk mixture a quick whisk and then quickly dip both sides of the toasted bread into the batter, not soaking, just coating it. Cook in the skillet, lightly browning one side and then flipping to brown the other side.
- Fry the plantain slices in a teaspoon or two of coconut oil in a small frying pan over medium heat. Turn the heat down if they cook too quickly. They should be soft and have slightly charred/caramelized edges.
- Sandwich the plantain slices between the french toast and drizzle with coconut nectar or syrup of choice (date syrup, maple syrup). Sprinkle with cinnamon.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS