These "meatballs" are the perfect way to utilize leftover mashed potatoes and are perfect for getting in that extra plant-based protein. If you can add mashed potato to something and somehow make meatballs, then it must be good! Made from lentils, savory spices, and potato, they bake up crispy, crunchy, and golden on the outside but soft and flavorful on the inside. Serve with your favorite pasta or try it out in a spaghetti squash bowl!
Easy Potato Lentil ‘Meatballs’ [Vegan]
15 veggie balls
For the 'Meatballs:'
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 cups mashed potato
- 1 15-ounce can lentils, washed and strained
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon thyme spice
- 1 tablespoon dried coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/4 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1 spaghetti squash
- Your favorite tomato sauce
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Line two baking sheets with parchment and spray with coconut oil, set aside.
- Into a cast iron skillet, add your extra virgin olive oil and onions. Cook until golden. Around 10 minutes.
- Into a high-speed blender, add your lentil ingredients and onions. Blend until smooth then transfer to large bowl.
- Into bowl, add your mashed potatoes and vital wheat gluten. Stir until well combined.
- You want your mixture to be thick. Add more or less potatoes to reach the desired consistency.
- Using your hands or ice cream scoop, begin to roll balls. This makes around 15.
- Bake for 1 hour checking on them half way through.
- After checking on balls, cut your squash in half, remove seeds and set cut side down onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove balls and squash from oven.
- Serve with sauce in the squash and top with the potato lentil balls.