This delicious layered bake seems like it would take forever but you will be surprised by how easy it is to whip up! Simply cook the lentil bolognese, slice the potatoes and eggplant, and layer them all on top of each other with plenty of sun-dried tomato paste, herbs, and spices. Once everything is layered, sprinkle a generous amount of almond-Parmesan on top and bake in the oven until brown. Yum!
Creamy Lentil Bolognese and Potato Bake [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 large carrot
- 1/2 of 1 stalk of celery
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1/2 tablespoon thyme
- 2 cups of cooked brown lentils
- 4 chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 3/4 cup tomato paste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 14-ounce can of chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup vegan red wine
- 1/3 cup water (optional)
- 3 medium sized potatoes
- 1/2 of 1 eggplant
- 1 cup almonds
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt, to taste
- 2 teaspoons of coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 392°F.
- In a large skillet, heat up the olive oil on medium heat.
- Chop the onion, carrot, celery, and garlic into small cubes and add to the skillet.
- Cook until translucent then add the lentils together with the sun-dried tomatoes, oregano, basil, and thyme. Cook for a few minutes while stirring.Now, add the coconut sugar and the tomato paste. Stir well before adding the salt and pepper.
- Next, add the chopped tomatoes and the red wine. If the bolognese seems too dry, add the water, if you think its liquid enough just leave it out.
- Cut the eggplant and the potato into thin slices.
- Spread out a thin layer of the bolognese on the bottom of your baking dish. Top with a layer of potato slices. Next add more bolognese and top of with a layer of aubergine.
- Continue layering until all the ingredients are used up.
- For the vegan parmesan topping, simply add the almonds together with the garlic powder, the onion powder, the salt, nutritional yeast, and the coconut oil into your food processor and blend until it resembles parmesan crumbles. Spread it out on top of your bake.
- Cover it with aluminum foil and bake in the oven for about 90 minutes. Remove the aluminum foil and bake for another 5 or until the vegan parmesan topping has slightly browned.