This recipe is one of the best party finger recipes I have made. It mimics crab cakes, but features hearts of palm, one of my new favorite ingredients. They come together pretty fast and are easy to bake, so there's no frying mess here! Most traditional recipes call for Old Bay seasoning, which I went to at least seven stores to find with no luck. I found a "seafood" seasoning instead that did the job perfectly.
Vegan "Crab" Cakes [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 can hearts of palm
- 1/2 cup carrot pulp – or 2 medium carrots
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs – gluten free
- 1/2 cup tofu mayo
- 1 Tbsp seafood seasoning
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 stalk green onion – sliced
- Pre-heat oven to 400F
- In a food processor, shred the hearts of palm with 2-3 pulse bursts. You want to keep lost of texture so don’t over do it. Dump into a large bowl. If using whole carrots and not pulp, process them in the food processor until finely chopped. Add to the bowl.
- Add all other ingredients to the bowl and mix well. If too dry, add liquid. If too wet, add breadcrumbs.
- Shape into small patties and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake on each side for about 15 minutes.
- Serve with Tartar sauce (I made it with the same Tofu Mayo and relish)
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS
Hearts of Palm