Simple doesn't have to mean boring! In this recipe, chickpeas, crunchy bell peppers, and vibrant cherry tomatoes are tossed in a homemade dressing. A multitude of spices go into the dressing, bringing flavor that balances out the freshness of the salad. This salad is a great take-along lunch to work, where you can enjoy it plain, or as a sandwich with greens and whole grain bread.
Chickpea Salad With Cilantro Dressing [Vegan]
This Recipe is :
For the Dressing:
- 1 cup cilantro, stems removed
- 1/2 cup raw unsalted peanuts
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water
For the Salad:
- 2 cups chickpeas, boiled and drained
- 1/2 cup red onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup yellow pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatos, diced
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds, optional
- In a food processor, combine all the ingredients for the dressing and grind until it’s as smooth as possible.
- In a salad bowl, toss in all of the salad ingredients, along with the dressing and serve immediately.
Measure chickpeas after boiling and draining. Make sure that the dressing is as smooth as possible, and there are no lumps or crunchy bites. This dressing recipe yields about 3/4 cups. Any unsalted peanuts can be used for this recipe.