What makes a falafel truly amazing is freshness. These vibrant beet falafels certainly aren't lacking in that! Serve these over a bed of salad with a coconut yogurt tahini sauce, or wrap them in a pita with plenty of greens.
Beet and Chickpea Falafel [Vegan]
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 14-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 raw beets, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 tablespoon tahini
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Salt, to taste
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Fry the onion in olive oil until soft. Add spices and fry for another minute and then transfer to a food processor.
- Add chickpeas, 2/3 of the grated beets, bread crumbs, tahini, and cornstarch and pulse until a crumbly.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and combine with the remaining grated beets. Add salt and spices to taste.
- Shape into balls with wet hands and leave in the fridge for 30 minutes. Place the balls on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and brush them with some oil. Bake in the oven at 390°F for 20-25 minutes.