I can’t wait to play around with different variations and toppings. This pizza is dense and very filling. Yet light enough to digest brilliantly. I served with a side salad of organic spinach, fresh sprouts, sundried tomatoes, hemp seeds and lemon vinaigrette. Scott and I were both pleasantly full and satisfied with the meal.
Healthy 'Digestive-friendly' Quinoa Pizza Crust
- 1 cup quinoa, soaked for at least 8 hours, rinsed and drained
- 1/4-1/2 cup water
- 2 TB. coconut oil
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 2 clove garlic, sliced
- 1 TB. Italian seasoning
- 1 TB. nutritional yeast
- Soak the quinoa in filtered water for at least 8 hours. Rinse and drain the quinoa. (If you plan this for dinner, just soak the quinoa in the morning before leaving for work or soak it overnight, rinse, drain in a.m. and put into a sealed container and keep in fridge till you get ready to make – this is what I did.) *This step is crucial as the recipe won’t work with dry quinoa.
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor or a high-speed blender and combine until the dough resembles pancake batter. Adjust the water as needed.
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees and coat either a cast iron skillet or an 8-inch round cake pan (I used a cast iron skillet) with 3 TB. coconut oil. Allow the skillet or cake pan to heat up in the oven for about 10 minutes (this is good to do while you’re preparing the dough and chopping the veggies). Remove skillet/cake pan from the oven and immediately add the quinoa “dough,” using a spatula to even it out as needed. Place the dough in the oven to bake for 20 minutes. Flip the dough and bake for another 10 minutes, or until brown and crispy.
- Add whatever toppings you want and feel free to be creative.
- I used roasted peppers/onions/mushrooms (left overs), homemade marinara sauce, fresh tomato slices and vegan cheese.
- I then place the pizza in the oven under the broiler after adding the toppings just to heat everything up a bit. (About 5 – 8 minutes).
- When pizza comes out, top with fresh basil leaves, Serve and enjoy!!
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS
AUTHOR & RECIPE DETAILS