This zucchini has a classic-style sauce, but the addition of Brazil nuts or walnuts gives it a non-traditional crunch.
Zucchini Pasta with Chunky Tomato Sauce [Vegan]
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 tsp + 1⁄2 tsp sea salt
- 20 sundried tomatoes, soaked in warm water until soft (about 30 minutes)
- 1⁄2 cup tomato soak water
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium clove garlic
- 2 heaping tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 heaping tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tbsp raisins
- 1 tbsp hemp oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts or chopped Brazil nuts
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Trim the ends of the squash. Using a hand-held vegetable peeler, carefully strip the squash, layer by layer, into noodle-like pieces and gather into a colander (for best results, discard the watery center section that holds the seeds).
- Toss squash strips with 1 tsp of sea salt and place the colander over a large bowl to catch excess moisture. Let rest for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, wash the squash thoroughly with warm water to remove any excess salt, and let drain for 5 more minutes.
- In a food processor, blend together the sundried tomatoes, 1⁄2 cup soak water, fresh tomatoes, garlic, basil, oregano, raisins, hemp oil, and 1⁄2 tsp of sea salt into a chunky paste.
- Add the nuts and pulse a few times to chop the nuts finely (but do not blend).
- Toss the sauce with the zucchini strips and sauté over medium-low heat for
- 1–2 minutes to warm through.
Variation: Skip the sauté step and serve at room temperature as a delicious raw dish.