This recipe for a hearty salad is a great thing to have on hand for lunch and dinner! You'll love the simplicity of this salad, with all the colors, flavors, and textures. Buckwheat makes it hearty and filling, but any grain will do. It can be made ahead of time, along with the dressing, as long as they are kept separate.
Nut and Seed Salad With Massaged Kale and Creamy Dressing [Vegan]
- 3/4 cup raw buckwheat groats
- 4 cups curly green kale, thinly chopped (stems removed)
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced Brussels sprouts (rough ends removed)
- 1/4 raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/3 cup hazelnuts, toasted or raw, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds, plus extra for topping
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons gluten free organic tamari
- 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Rinse buckwheat groats under cold water for 30 seconds. Bring a large pot of water (at least 3 cups) to a bowl, add a pinch of salt, and then add the buckwheat. Let boil uncovered for 7 minutes, then remove from heat, cover and let sit for 2 minutes, no more. Strain and rinse the buckwheat then set aside.
- Place thinly sliced kale and Brussels sprouts in a large salad bowl. Sprinkle with a touch of salt and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Using your hands, massage the oil and salt into the greens until well absorbed and the greens turn a vibrant shade of green. Add buckwheat, pumpkin seeds, hazelnuts and pomegranate seeds to the bowl.
- To make the dressing, mix together almond butter, tamari, maple syrup, vinegar, and oil in a small bowl or blender. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Add an extra splash of tamari for added salt, a touch more vinegar to cut richness or a drop or two of maple syrup to round out the sweetness. Add a splash of water to thin, if needed, to get desired consistency.
- Pour half the dressing over the salad and toss to combine. Serve with extra dressing on the side and top plates of with a few extra pomegranate seeds for color.