This is a basic recipe for a whole wheat vegan vanilla cake. You can add roasted nuts and soaked raisins to the batter before baking for a more festive treat. If you love coffee, feel free to add 2-3 heaped teaspoons of instant coffee powder to the batter for a delicate coffee flavor.
Whole Wheat Vanilla Cake [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Whole Wheat Vanilla Cake [Vegan]
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (substitute with maida, if desired)
- 1 cup bura/khand/powdered white sugar
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar (use lemon juice if ACV is unavailable)
- 1-2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 heaped teaspoon baking soda
- A pinch of salt
How to Prepare Whole Wheat Vanilla Cake [Vegan]
- In a deep-bottomed saucepan, combine the bura/khand/powdered white sugar, cinnamon powder, salt, water, and coconut oil.
- Heat gently (do not boil), stirring until the bura/khand/powdered white sugar is fully dissolved and the liquid looks glossy. Let it cool to room temperature. Add the ACV & the vanilla extract.
- Preheat the oven to 340°F.
- Sift together the flour and baking soda.
- Add the liquid mixture prepared in step 1 to the flour and combine well, but don’t over mix.
- Pour into a greased cake tin (7.5 inches diameter). Bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Once cooled, apply a generous layer of vegan vanilla cashew cream and decorate with slivers of roasted nuts & halved candied cherries.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.