Pistou is much like a pesto but without the nuts and/or cheese. It's made from basil, olive oil, and garlic and often served on top of soup. Although the pistou here is not pistou by French standards since it's made with parsley, mint, dill, and garlic scapes instead of basil, it is delicious nonetheless. This salad makes a nice light lunch or late dinner with a few slices of your favorite sourdough toast and lots of the good olive oil. It would also be nice with some cooked earthy grains like spelt berries or farro and a sprinkle of vegan feta or Parmesan.
White Bean and Pea Salad With Spring Herb Pistou [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
4-6 as a side
- 1 1/2 cups cooked white beans (butter beans or cannellini)
- 2 cups peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh mint
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup fresh dill
- 3 garlic scapes, or 2 cloves (depending on how garlicky you like it)
- Juice and zest of one lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Water, a few tablespoon or as needed
- Black pepper
- Extra mint and lemon zest for serving
- If you’re using fresh peas, a quick blanch is recommended just to soften them a little and make the green color pop. Drop the peas into a pot with boiling water, cook for no longer than a minute and then drain and rinse well under cold water. If you’re using frozen peas, place them in a bowl of warm water to thaw. Again, drain and rinse well under cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Add peas, beans, and onion to a large salad bowl.
- Place scapes, mint, dill, parsley, lemon juice and zest, salt, and pepper into a blender and begin blending, with the motor running drizzle in the olive oil and then add water as needed to help things along. Blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Add a few spoonfuls of pistou to the peas and beans – mix to combine. Add pistou as needed until desired taste. Add a few fresh mint leaves and garnish with lots of lemon zest and freshly cracked black pepper. Drizzle with extra olive oil.